THE LEGAL AID FOR CROWN COURT PROCEEDINGS (COSTS) RULES (NORTHERN IRELAND) 2005
PRACTICE DIRECTION NO. 7 OF 2005
1. An appeal under Rule 14 of the Legal Aid for Crown Court Proceedings (Costs) Rules (Northern Ireland) 2005 (“the Rules”) shall be in the Form No. 1 annexed hereto and may be made by post.
2. The Appellant shall complete, serve and lodge the Notice of Appeal.
3. A Notice of Appeal shall be accompanied by the documents set out in Form No. 1.
4. All other papers supporting the matters appealed in the decision of the Legal Services Commission shall be lodged in the office at the same time as the Notice of Appeal or within 14 days thereafter.
5. In the event of the appellant not wishing to attend a formal hearing, representations in writing may be sent to the Taxing Office within 14 days from the service of the Notice.
6. In the event of the appellant not indicating his/her agreement to accept a decision given in his/her absence, the Taxing Office will fix a date, time and place for the hearing of the appeal and will forward by post notice thereof to the appellant at the address shown on the Notice of Appeal and a copy of such notice of hearing will be given to the Legal Services Commission and to any other parties that the Master shall direct.
7. In the event of any party so served with notice of hearing failing to appear at such hearing as aforesaid, the Master may
a) adjourn the hearing to another date;
b) adjudicate upon the appeal in the absence of some or all of the parties;
c) issue a decision on the appeal which will be communicated by post to the parties so serviced with notice of hearing.
8. This Direction shall come into force on the same date as the Rules and shall continue until further notice.
Dated this 25th day of April 2005.
J CHRISTOPHER NAPIER
MASTER (Taxing Office)