Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Northern Ireland Courts And Tribunals Service would like to place cookies on your computer to help make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our Privacy Policy.

How do I apply to become a Controller

Anyone who wishes to apply to become a Controller must submit the following documents:

Controllership Application Form (Word)
Controllership Application Form (PDF)
– This document sets out your personal details, details of the Patient’s next of kin and details of those who will provide you with a character reference. It must also set out information on the Patient’s assets and it is extremely important that you include a comprehensive list of all bank accounts, savings, investments and property owned by the Patient. It is equally important that you are very specific in your proposals of how these will be managed.

Medical Certificate(Word)
Medical Certificate (PDF)
 – This Certificate is required to confirm the Patient’s incapacity and must be completed by a Doctor. You must send a medical certificate to OCP along with your other application papers, if one has not previously been supplied to the Office by a Doctor.

Notice of Application (Word)
Notice of Application (PDF) 
– This Notice is to be completed and served personally on the Patient by someone other than the proposed Controller

Certificate of Service (Word)
Certificate of Service (PDF) 
– This Certificate is to be completed by the person who served the Notice of Application and it must be returned to the Office as proof of Service

Form 2 (Word)
Form 2 (PDF)
– to be completed and returned to the Office.

All of the above documents must be fully completed, signed and dated to enable prompt processing of your application. Incomplete applications or those with insufficient information will be returned to you.

To assist with your application a checklist, completer guide and blank copies of all required forms are attached. Please note that you may personally complete the controllership application form or you may wish to employ a legal professional such as a solicitor to assist you. If you are employing a solicitor please indicate this on the front page of the application and include the solicitor’s name and address.